The next version of DnsSafety is released today. This release contains the following features and improvements:
- A lot of changes in the Traffic Monitor. It is now possible to use the Admin UI to look at the device labels, IPs, MAC addresses that use DNS server at the moment.
- It is also possible to have daily reports of DNS activity, including top browsed domain names, top DNS users by request, device label, IP or MAC address.
- Reports are generated daily based on access log of DnsSafety.
- It is possible to backup current configuration from UI and later upload/restore this configuration on a new version of the product.
- Rewritten ARP caching module that gives more stable IP-to-MAC resolving to be used in filtering policies.
The version is available from https://dnssafety.io/download.html. It is recommended to use the pre-configured virtual appliance for VMware, Microsoft Azure if possible (the Azure build version will be updated within a week).
The product was born out of the need to do local DNS filtering within un-managed home/small company/public wifi networks where full featured HTTPS decrypting web filtering proxy solution like Web Safety is not applicable (because trusted root proxy ca certificates cannot be installed on networking machines).
Please add your issues/bugs at our GitHub project page – see https://github.com/diladele/dnssafety/milestones.
Have in mind it is being actively developed project and might not always work as expected. We do appreciate any feedback you might have. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if this easier or preferably create an issue at GitHub.