New version of Web Safety ICAP server for Squid Proxy is finally released today and ready for download. This version contains the following features and improvements:
- Fixed ICAP error when filtering headers of HTTP response. It is still recommended to have the
icap_service_failure_limit -1line in your squid.conf file (just in case).
- Fixed incorrect purging of stale monitoring data in SQLite deployments
- New and very much improved Web UI that will serve as a basis for all future additions. We now have place to implement most (if not all) features for managing not only qlproxy’s settings but also Squid’s settings from the Web UI. Hopefully in future you will seldom need to manually change the conf files.
- Improved management of policies. It is now possible to clone existing policy when creating a new one. It is also possible to manage list of blocked categories, adblock and privacy subscriptions from within one page, reducing the overall number of clicks required to fully configure a policy.
- New image filtering module (experimental). It is now possible to analyze JPEG pictures for skin color and block most of explicit images. Status of this feature is experimental so please do not use it in production environments yet. We are very eager to hear your ideas about quality of detection and still adjusting the heuristics to lower false positives.
- Improved Surfing Now and Monitoring page. It is now possible to filter and group the monitoring records by user, domain, ip and top level domains. More info is stored in the monitoring database that acts as the basis for improvements in reports planned for 4.1 or 4.2 versions.
- HTTP/HTTPS requests are now scanned too. This allows for filtering of explicit adult search terms in all search engines (including Google images).
- Added support for viewing only school approved YouTube images using YouTube for Education subscription id.
- Added support for using only specific domains in Google Apps for Business and Google Mail.
- Various improvements in HTML deep inspection module (less false positives)
- Support for Django 1.6.8
Upgrade instructions for all previous versions are available at our documentation site. Please note if you are using Alpha or Beta builds of Web Safety 4.0 a simple replace of your current
/opt/qlproxy/var/db/qlproxy.sqlite over newly installed should be enough.
Next version 4.1 will have Web Safety ICAP daemon running on Microsoft Windows to provide HTTP/SSL filtering for Squid for Windows. It will also most probably include selective HTTPS filtering for configured filtering policies and/or configured categories (i.e. never bump financial sites approach).
As usual please fire your issues/comments to our GitHub issue tracker at https://github.com/ra-at-diladele-com/qlproxy_external/milestones.
Thanks to all of you for support during development of this version!
Diladele Dev Team